Saturday, November 3, 2012

An Apartment Dweller's Closet Tour:


      If you love clothes and happen to live in a small apartment, a huge walk in closet can be hard to come by. I have a knack for displaying my personal items and I love having my clothes on display where I can see all my options but my clothing closet happens to be too small for my collection of vintage and sale finds. A second hand wooden bookshelf ($15) painted a clean shade of white helped me achieve extra storage space for my most loved accessories which was much needed. If you happen to be over hauling your closet any time soon, here are a few other ideas for how I keep things neat and organized in my own closet:

(Clothing hung and displayed by color)
I used to organize my clothes by item type (blouses, pants, dresses, etc) but found that I was continually pulling out the same few items and wearing a ton of black. However, after arranging garments by color, I have found myself more willing to explore all the variety in my closet. And as long as you are familiar with the colors of the rainbow, this concept is simple to maintain over a long period of time.



       This upcycled bookshelf has been extremely useful for extra storage. I tacked push pins into the sides and back board to hold my collection of necklaces and sunglasses. On the shelves I displayed vintage milk glass candy dishes that hold an array of wrist swag. Eventually, I plan on adding a vanity mirror into the back of the shelf. Cross your fingers that a fantastic mirror finds it's way into one of my local charity shops!



       My collection of handbags and shoes also live in this unit neatly displayed like books. I find that instead of facing both shoes forward, it saves space to store one forwards and one backwards (it also helps to see your shoes from every angle when figuring out what to wear).



      Like every other girl I know (and some guys!) I love shoes. However, instead of spending the cost of rent on one pair of designer heels I prefer the thrill of hunting down vintage pairs in local consignment shops and thrift stores. Budget friendly and fashionable! Plus, when your shoes are on display it makes for great decor!  


     After removing the doors from my closet (to better see everything and make my small bedroom feel more open) I added extra hooks. These are perfect for hanging additional bags or my outfit for the next day.


    
 The floor of my closet is utilized for extra storage. Additional shoes live here as well as a large handbag and box, both of which I use to house out of season clothing and accessories (Sadly, my summer day dresses went in there a few days ago!).


     My thrifted cashmere sweater collection gets folded and displayed on the top shelf of my closet along with denim jeans. I prefer to fold these items rather than hang them because that would stretch them out. Taking proper care of your clothing will help it last for years and in the long run, save you some extra cash.


     I also store my make up in my closet (lack of any other option I guess) and I use old shopping bags to store out of season clothing as well. 



     And that's the inside of my closet! I know I love peeking inside people's wardrobe so I hope that you enjoyed mine!

Yours,
Nico

PS: My computer was broken accidentally this week so I may have a hard time posting as often or responding to comments right away but I promise to get back to each and every one of you as soon as I can!

17 comments:

  1. Wow this is a great post!!! I will definitely take some ideas to organize my too little closet:)

    http://myfashionfoodstyle.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wardrobe looks very clean and simple. Congratulations.
    Btw.. I love your shoes.

    www.zadinblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea; it's nice having an overview of all your options to help you put outfits together easier. I agree, I tend to recycle the same clothes if I don't organise like this.

    - Erin xo

    365mu.blogspot.co.uk - One girl's attempt at creating 365 different make-up looks in as many days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Love how you are displaying your sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your closet is so neat and organized! Mine is... the total opposite. A complete disaster lol

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bags are actually in a booksself in that way ;D. (But ever keep in order ;D)
    x, Lara
    http://rockteraptor.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a clever use of space. I love what you did here.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing how other people organize their closets/clothing. I need all the help I can get!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so organized! You are making me feel bad!!!! I so need to overhaul my closet!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! your closet looks like art! Love the organization. it looks like it is a joy to get dressed in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE taking a peek inside of other's closets! I just LOVE how you've displayed your accessories. Such a cute idea. Thanks for the fun look in your closet!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice!! i wish i was that clean.

    xO Arezu

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!