Thursday, May 9, 2013

Diptyque: A Fragrance Boutique



      Several weeks ago I took a trip to San Francisco and as I was walking thru Union Square, a faint scent whispered toward me. The smell was so utterly familiar and comforting I recognized it at once, that of lavender just after the rain. And not just lavender blooms, this fragrance held the allure of a true lavender plant: the earthy stems and fresh leaves even perhaps the faint hint of dirt (which as a gardener, I happen to love). I couldn't avoid where my nose was leading me and I ended up within the doors of Diptyque, a Parisian fragrance company. An olfactory treasure trove of scents that could easily be attached to any memory you may have. For me personally, Oyedo evoked memories of a childhood backyard tangerine tree that I would climb to pluck and devour as many citrus fruits as my 6 year old stomach could withstand. I find that scents are always associated with a time, place, and sacred memory, visiting Diptyque was potentially the best scrapbook I have ever smelled. 


The candle boutique was dimly lit with masculine furnishings and elaborate feminine textiles. 


Jacinthe/Hyacinth was a favorite of mine that day. For once, my nose did not tire of smelling new things. 

But the moment I suspected I had found the absolute best fragrance in the shop.....

Another special scent would find me. Jonquille/Daffodil smells exactly like my favorite flowers
and how often do you come across a candle with that unusual fragrance?



      If you happen to live, or be visiting the San Francisco area, be sure to stop by The Diptyque fragrance boutique for a little bit of Paris also! This French company has been crafting exquisite candles and cultivating an elevated sense of home design for over 50 years. The shop is well worth a visit, your nose will thank you!

Yours,
Nico
      

19 comments:

  1. That shop looks so lovely! I have been slowly getting addicted to candles. That is so great you found a daffodil candle. I am drawn to tea and bergamont scents right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great shop and the candles are really pretty but too expensive for me ;)
    xx
    www.clothesandcamera.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this looks like a heavenly place! You had me at lavender--but daffodil--Oh my! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I wouldn't want to leave this store if I stumbled upon it, sounds like everything smelt amazing. I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute store, love the name. Too bad we haven't an app for allowing scents to be shared : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that location very well. At Christmas I was able to purchase my favorite, tuberes, in Paris. It's always good to know we can find a bit of this sensory pleasure stateside.
    Lovely post!
    Heather @Stylemindchic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard good things about this brand, I should really order one online to try it out, ha ha :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diptyque is the best! You can't go wrong with their selections because everything smells divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds gorgeous. I would have been in there a great long time. Have a gorgeous weekend doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have visited there when I was in town! Did you end up getting anything?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to visit this store, it looks heavenly and can smell the scent from the screen!:) Kisses dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shop, i do like their candles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a lovely place! I love the smell of fresh natural lavender so much! My dream is to have a house in the Provence in France once and to live there in a house with a lavender field in front of me (in Provence they have soooo many Lavender fields all over the place :))!
    I am back in Germany now and try to get adjusted to life here again...

    Happy Weekend!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures and information. Love San Francisco.
    Where are you based? I would love to get connected and have my photographer taken some pictures of you with my purses.
    Haley www.instyleforless.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a great way with words. I too am a sucker for the sweet scents of Diptyque... sheer luxury

    http://monstermagpie.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/magicmagpie666
    follow on instagram @fashwanfox

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ambiance gets us... Would love to go there.

    xx
    5th&6th

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is your friend and neighbor Kristin . I forgot that !

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!