Monday, July 22, 2013

The Dirty Grapefruit:

"The Dirty Grapefruit"

      Over the weekend, my friend Tony and I got creative in the kitchen mixing cool and refreshing cocktails. I mentioned to him that I had an abundance of fresh mint in my backyard garden as well as a handful of rosy pink grapefruits and told him we both should brainstorm on what to use them for. Tony came up with the genius idea of adding tart balsamic vinegar to a cocktail recipe and the end result was nothing less than utterly delicious! Since the gorgeous ruby grapefruit color became a bit muddy with the addition of balsamic vinegar, we decided to affectionately call this recipe, "the dirty grapefruit." What I love most about this cocktail is that the flavor balances between sugary sweet coupled with dark and mysterious notes. Truly a drink that will please any crowd no matter their taste buds! 

I've been obsessed with the bright shade of pink found on the inside of these grapefruits that I purchased from Walmart, who says you can't get beautiful produce on a budget?

Magic Ingredients:
-Juice of 4 grapefruits
-1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
-2 tablespoons sugar
-12 mint leaves
-2 tablespoons water
-2 shots of vodka
(serves two)

Just some of the mint trimmings from my garden, I have so much
I don't know what to do with it all.

Getting Started:
1: In a small sauce pan, mix 1 tablespoon of sugar, balsamic vinegar, and 1/3 of the grapefruit juice. Simmer the syrup mixture over low heat until the sugar has dissolved and allow to cool.
2: While the syrup is on the stove, muddle the remaining sugar, mint leaves, and a splash of water in a small dish and set aside until you are ready to mix your drinks.
3: Fill two serving cups to the brim with ice and divide the grapefruit balsamic syrup between the two, top each glass with a serving of the remaining grapefruit juice, and finish with the muddled mint water.
4: Garnish your cocktail with a straw and all the trimmings and you are ready to serve!





      Settling down in my small but quaint garden underneath the Santa Cruz sun has got to be one of the best ways to enjoy a cold beverage and soak up the heat. How do you enjoy summer cocktails?



Yours,
Nico

10 comments:

  1. Sounds delush! Pun intended. I hope to try this when I get back, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Wish I'd been there! xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, I love grapefruit juice so I´d love to try this :)
    xx
    www.clothesandcamera.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, if anything has ever sounded like the PERFECT summer drink, this has to be it. Looks divine!

    http://dresseduplikealady.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds intriguing, and I happen to have all these ingredients in the kitchen right now - yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to drink grapefruit which is so healthy and to mix it with exotics.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!